Contacteer:

YAMAHA FZ1 & FZ1 FAZER

Bericht door Jos J. Heiloo »

Bron http://motoring.iafrica.com/newmodels/887204.htm

YAMAHA FZ1 & FZ1 FAZER
Wolf without clothes
Roy Hawkins - Cars in Action
Thu, 09 Feb 2006
Yamaha's new FZ1 naked bike and FZ1 Fazer were internationally launched in Somerset West when we joined bike press folk from around the globe who had headed to sunny South Africa to test the rapid machines on the scenic and rider-friendly Cape Winelands mountain roads.

Yamaha Motor Europe hosted the exercise with no less than 36 test bikes on hand to sample, one of which had no. 1 stamped on its frame — the first one to come off the factory line...

A version of the latest R1 motor powers both these street and sports category bikes, except that they're tuned to produce a huge amount of torque at mid-range — pushing out 106Nm at 8000rpm and 111kW at 11000 rpm. A bike this powerful needs serious road holding ability though.

Well Yamaha have definitely excelled in that department — perhaps even too much in the case of the naked bike. At 130km/h without a fairing the wind starts to push you hard, but hitting 200-plus it's getting ridiculous and you really have to hold on. When you consider that it's capable of over 260 in sixth, a lot of low down power is sacrificed.

I'd prefer to have a five-speed box with shorter lower gears and perhaps two or three extra teeth on the back sprocket.

If the gearing was adapted to make its top end around 200 (which is ample for this bike) and the wheelbase shortened to the length of the R1 - say about 45mm less - then you can show off to your friends in town by popping easier wheelies the way its aggressive design suggests...

In the case of the FZ1 Fazer though, the small fairing protects you enough from the wind to get to the high speeds it's designed for without a problem. It's versatile in the way that combines a high performance sports bike with a long distance touring ability and an everyday all rounder. So travelling longer distances is also much easier and the handling is awesome.

The Fazer's factory setup is perfect - I wouldn't change a thing.

Slowing these almost 200kg bikes is no problem thanks to the front disks, which are 22mm bigger than the previous model FZS1000 and produce impressive stopping power.

The frame and swing arm are new designs which are more rigid and therefore add to the better handling compared to the previous model, while the sound of the stainless steel four into two into one EXUP exhaust system sounds just right for these beasts as well.

Fazer is available with a full list of accessories, including: a Full Fairing, touring screens, side cases and a top case-carrier; a grip heater kit, an engine guard and sub cowling; roller protectors, a carbon fender and covers; radiator shields and a tank pad

The list of accessories available for the Naked FZ1 includes a sub cowling, fly screen and roller protectors; seat cover, carbon fender and covers, rad shields a tank pad and a main stand kit.

So, Yamaha offers the naked rider a powerful pair of twins in FZ1 and FZ1 Fazer — the Fazer is perfectly balanced just as it is, but If I wanted a naked FZ1, which I'd probably prefer, I would rework its gearing to enable it to deliver more fully on its hooligan looks...
Plaats reactie